Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Retirement

My mom arrived from Jamaica today. I am glad to have her, I have been concerned about her well being since she retired two years ago. My mom was a single mom who raised my sister and I on a teachers salary. There were good times and bad times, but she did her best to raise us and I am indebted to her. My concern is that since my sister and I immigrated to the US she has been living by herself. This makes me worry about her all the time. I have asked her to come to the states to live with us but she is content with just visiting every year for a couple months, and going back home to Jamaica. My mom is 59 years old and is sharp as a tack but I am worried that no one will be around to detect any changes in her that would be cause for concern. What the future holds is a mystery, how would I be able to take care of here there if something happened to her it is disconcerting to say the least.

Another issue I have thought about is if my mom becomes too old to take care of herself would I bring her to the US to stay with my wife and I or would I send her to an Assisted Home. I would like to think that I would be able to take care of her at my home but these things can sometimes reach a point where a person working a regular job would not be capable of providing the care that the elderly need in the twilight of their lives. It will be a hard decision to make I just hope that if the situation presents itself I would be in a position to make the correct decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment