Friday, July 31, 2009

Internet TV

It's Friday night and I want to watch a movie. I did not get a chance to pick up a movie at blockbuster, what do I do? I pull out my computer and sign onto the share site Justintv. I joined Justintv about a year ago and I have been mightly impressed with my access to movies, tv shows, and live major sporting events. I even broadcasted my own New Years Eve party to a live audience.

I get to watch movies before they are even in the theater, movies that have been out for a few months but have not gone to video, sitcoms that are in syndication but are as funny as the first time I saw them, and major pay-per-view boxing events. Plus I get to see all the live soccer games that I cannot get on cable. There is a community that supports this site. Much like Facebook you are allowed to make friends, blog about your experience, broadcast your own events and chat online about an event you are watching stream live over the Internet . It makes the world smaller but at the same time excludes you from that human face to face contact that we are all told that we need but technology makes unimportant.

There are some out there that will contend that as technology improves people are more apt to confine themselves to a few close friends, and have Internet acquaintances that fulfill a social need. I beg to differ, this might be a generational thing but as a member of Generation X, I still enjoy social interactions and use the computer to fill an entertainment void not any social need.

No comments:

Post a Comment