Friday, August 7, 2009

Sigularity



As I read Ray Kurzweil's paper on his coined term Singularity. I went through the various emotions that envelope humans when they are presented with the potential of future technology. I went through a roller coaster ride of awe, dread, and acceptance. Each passage elicited these emotions at various levels. I must admit that I would look forward to the era of nanothenological AI. While I see the limitless possibilities of the technology I see the monster within. I am skeptical that there will be public access to the technology.

I believe that the technology will not see public consumption for many years if at all. When the eventual marrying of nanotechnology and biological life forms is realized it will be viewed as a state secret and will be guarded as such. It would therefore be used by the military. If it is disseminated to the public in any manner it will be only accessible to the super rich. They will invariable dine on the benefits of the technology and could potentially create a populating of humans and AI enhanced humans. As the author suggests we should ease our way into this projected reality. The perils are starker than at any time in our technological growth as a species. Scientific progress is indeed exponential and I we completely understand how to harness the possibilities of nanotechnology the multiplier will be unfathomable.

No comments:

Post a Comment